2-for-1 tickets to Doctors, Dissection and Resurrection Men at the Museum of London
- Usually £18
- Saving 50%
Sorry you missed this offer...
- Take a friend to the exhibition we called 'rip-roaringly theatrical' and rated four stars. It’s well worth coffin up for!
- Relive the days when human flesh was bought and sold by grave-robbing ‘resurrection men’. Highlights include skeletal remains of dissected bodies uncovered six years ago in Whitechapel.
- In the days before anaesthetic, surgery was brutal. Doctors and medical schools had shady connections to graveyards. This exhibition, however, is just lovely!
You’ve got a body, we’ve got a body, everybody has a body. See some in this fascinating Museum of London exhibition for £4.50 each. Some of the highlights include anatomically correct wax figurines, a stomach preserved by Edward Jener, fragments of tattooed skin from murderers Bishop and Williams and a short film exploring different attitudes to organ and body donation.
From Time Out's four star review: ''I have only got a leg and thigh,' wrote a disgruntled William Hamilton in 1878, referring to his difficulty in finding enough material to complete his surgical training. Hamilton was relatively lucky. Prior to the 1832 Anatomy Act, which made it lawful for 'unclaimed or friendless bodies' to be given up for dissection, executed murderers were a would-be doctor's only legal supply of human flesh.
The Museum of London's rip-roaringly theatrical exhibition sets the scene by presenting a map of the capital from the period detailing the city's hospitals, graveyards and anatomy schools and their sometimes shadowy connections.'
Image credit: Wellcome Library, London.
Need to know:
- Voucher valid for two tickets to 'Doctors, Dissection and Resurrection Men' at the Museum of London for session from December 15 2012 - April 14 2013.
- Exhibition closed from December 24 - 26 2012.
- Timed entry applies. Entry is subject to availability and will be assigned to the next available timeslot.
- No booking required. Simply print your voucher and present it to the Museum of London information desk on arrival.
- This voucher cannot be cancelled, exchanged or refunded or used in conjunction with any other offer.