£6 tickets to ‘Belle De Jour’ at the ULU Vintage Cinema Series – with two-for-one bottles of beer
Sorry you missed this offer...
- Save big on tickets to the ULU Vintage Cinema Series’ inaugural screening – now only £6! (That’s considerably less, we feel compelled to point out, than Miley Cyrus’ new film about an undercover cop.)
- First up, French classic ‘Belle De Jour’, in which a young woman decides to spend her afternoons working as a prostitute while her husband’s at work. Luis Buñuel's masterpiece won Best Film in Venice in 1967, and is ranked 56th Best World Film by Empire.
- Enjoy two-for-one bottles of beer (selected brands), plus pints, cider and mixed drinks from only £2.50 before and after (and during) the film. This is ULU we’re talking about, after all.
This Wednesday December 12, ULU opens its doors (and offers its best-in-town drink prices) to customers of Time Out Offers for the Vintage Cinema Series’ inaugural screening, ‘Belle De Jour’.
Rated five stars on review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes (with a staggering 95% approval rating), ‘Belle De Jour’ tells the story of a Parisian doctor’s wife who secretly volunteers for the two-till-five shift at an upmarket brothel. The film was briefly re-released in 2006, earning five stars from Time Out.
Said our reviewer at the time: ‘One of the sly Buñuel's greatest popular successes, ‘Belle de Jour’… is a mischievously deadpan and classically cool 1967 adaptation of Joseph Kessel’s ‘cheap’ fictionalised tale…
If, for us jaded children and grandchildren of the ’60s, 40 years of bombardment by explicit sexual imagery has made [the film’s original] impact unrecoverable, the undiminished power of the film resides more in the mesmeric audacity of Buñuel’s method. The productive friction – be it between the salacious material and the ‘chaste’ formality of how it’s observed; the ersatz ‘elegance’ of the salon and the perverse etiquettes of the Yves Saint Laurent-clothed, cigarette-chewing prostitutes and their clients; or the hallucinatory melding of fantasy and reality – still generates heat like a nuclear reactor.’
After the film, stay for drinks and your chance to win your very own copy!
Need to know:
- This voucher is for one ticket to ‘Belle De Jour’ at The Venue, ULU, on Wed Dec 12.
- Doors to bar open at 7pm. Film screens from 8pm-10pm, with 15-minute interval for refreshments. Bar stays open until 11pm. Draw for free film at 10.30pm.
- No booking required. Simply print your ticket and present it to the box office on arrival.
- Please note there is no assigned seating for this event.
- Minimum age for entry to bar: 18.
- This voucher cannot be cancelled, refunded, exchanged or used in conjunction with any other offer.